FL 380: An Archaeology of the "Boom":
Modern Latin American Prose Fiction Reading
- Guide to Borges #2
Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
- 3 The mirror and the encyclopedia:
How are they "Borgesian"?
- 3 Why does the mirror "trouble" the depths...?
- 3 What is the time frame of the narration?
Who is the narrative voice pretending to be?
- Adolfo Bioy Casares: contemporary Argentinean writer, winner of the
Cervantes Prize. Bioy has worked with Borges on many creative projects.
He is the author of Morel's Invention among other novels and stories.
- 3 What is the subject of Bioy and Borges' "vast polemic"?
How is it related to Borgesian literature?
- 3 Why would one of Uqbar's heresiarchs object to mirrors and men?
- 4 What does Borges initially conjecture about Bioy's anecdote about
Why would that be ironic?
- 4 How does the article on Uqbar in the Anglo-American Cyclopaedia measure
up to other articles therein?
- 5 How does the narrator ("Borges") substantiate their skepticism
- What other book did Silas Haslam write?
- What is the significance of Johannes Valentinus Andreä's book?
- How can this be similar to Nolan in The Theme of The Traitor...
- 6 How is Herbert Ashe described? Profession, appearance, habits...
- 6 What is the narrator's reaction upon finding the book that Ashe had
- What is this story "about", according to the narrator?
- 7 How many pages does the book have?
- 7 Are the last ten lines of the first paragraph perhaps a parody?
"Now I held . . . or tone of parody"
- 7 Néstor Ibarra, Ezequiel Martínez Estrada, Drieu La
Rochelle, and Alfonso Reyes are all very well known literary and cultural
critics. The N.R.F. is a prestigious French journal.
- 7-8 Who are the creators of Tlön?
- 8 What was first believed about Tlön?
What is known now about it as a cosmos governed by rules?
- Is this a parody?
- 8 Why does not Tlön merit the attention of all men?
- 8 What is the ruling philosophy in Tlön?
A. Berkeley: English idealist philosopher
- What does idealism presuppose?
- 9 How are literary poetic objects formed in Tlön?
- 9 What is the one and only discipline in Tlön?
Why is that "no exaggeration"?
- 9 Do the Tlönians conceive of space and time as we do?
- 10 How do Tlönians understand every mental state?
Can they be named or described?
- 10 How are Tlönian attitudes towards metaphysics?
What do they pursue in it?
How do they categorize it?
- 10 How do opinions regarding "time" vary among different
schools of thought in Tlön?
- 11 How was "materialism" explained to the people of Tlön?
- 11-12 How was it variously refuted?
- 12 How is materialism finally reconciled with idealism by the orthodox
heresiarch a hundred years after it was first formulated?
- Why is Schopenhauer's name relevant here?
- 12 What attitudes do Tlönians hold toward geometry and mathematics?
- 12-13 How do they account for the fact that people get the same results
when they count the same quantity of objects?
- 13 How is literary criticism practiced in Tlön?
Does plagiarism exist there?
Is there a tone of parody in this depiction?
- 13 What other effects has idealism had on reality?
- What are hrönir?
- How was the methodical production of hrönir achieved?
- 14 What effect have hrönir had in the study of the past?
- 14 What is an ur?
- 14 What happens to things when they are forgotten?
Is there a tone of parody here?
- 14 What information does the Postscript of 1947 add to the text?
Read Irby's article to find out more about this.
- Who is Gunnar Erfjord?
- 15 What was the beginning of Tlön like in the early seventeenth
- 15 Who was Ezra Buckley?
- Why is this hilarious?
- 15 What was perhaps Buckley's ambition in funding Orbis Tertius?
- 16 What happened on Laprida Street to Princess Faucigny Lucinge in
Can a fantastic world intrude into the world of reality?
- 16-17 Amorim is an Argentinean intellectual contemporary of Borges.
- What happens in the country store at Cuchilla Negra?
- 17 Why were some of the more fantastic aspects of Tlön attenuated
in the edition discovered in a Memphis library in 1944?
- 17 How does the narrator explain the public's fascination with Tlön
in the early 1940s?
- 17 Why is "useless" to argue that "reality is also orderly"?
- 17 What is the difference between the labyrinth -as Tlön- and
the labyrinth as our world?
Is there really such a big difference?
- 18 What has happened in the world since the dissemination of Tlön?
- 18 To what project does the narrator devote his energies at the very